**To my subscribers. Sorry if you received a weird looking post in your inbox! The formatting on my original post was messed up!!**
If I could eat fries every single day, I would. Everything about fries are delicious. Their salty taste, their crunchy texture, their amazing ability to scoop up just the right amount of catsup…they are basically the most amazing food ever. Well, almost. I know I don’t have to go into a lengthy explanation why french fries aren’t the most ideal food…if I did, it would just depress us all.
One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is what I like to call “cheating the system.” I love taking traditionally unhealthy foods and making them nutritious and even tastier! My favorite french fry swap is to take a butternut squash, slice it super thin, and bake! Super easy, and super delicious.
Now, here’s how I know that these are the best Butternut squash fries ever. Keith (my fiancé) kept sneaking them while I was taking my photos for this post. Literally every time I would look up, there was one less fry in the photo! Normally I love when he gets excited about my healthy creations, but this time was different! First of all, I didn’t make a ton of them, so I needed every last one in the photos. Second of all, I just didn’t want to share! Simple as that! (oh fine, I admit, I’d share anything with the guy).
He’s lucky I love him so much
- ½ butternut squash (peeled)*
- non-stick cooking spray
- Spices *
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- ½ tsp rosemary Dried
- ½ tsp basil dried
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- * see note
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Take butternut squash and slice into small, thin, fry like pieces
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Lay butternut squash slices on baking sheet. Try not to overlap
- Spray the top of butternut squash slices with non-stick cooking spray
- add spices
- Set your timer for 35 min
- Bake for about 20 min, flip squash slices
- Bake for about 15 more min or until fries are crispy
- *depending on your oven, you may need to cook more or less. Keep an eye on them
Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds
Using a vegetable peeler, remove skin from squash (be very careful not to cut yourself)
Use your favorite spices! I
EX: cayenne, cinnamon, old bay, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, dried basil, dried rosemary, dried thyme etc.
If you’ve never made your own fries, do yourself a favor and do it. They may be addicting but they are totally guilt free!