Sunday is my favorite day of the week. Normally, I sleep in a bit, eat a delicious breakfast (today it was Berry Pie Overnight Oats), get a great work out in, and then lounge around the apartment with Keith! Having a lazy day once in a while is really important, and in my opinion, Sundays are designed for being lazy! Sundays are also designed for delicious treats. It’s a fact I promise.
Today, despite the fact that it is currently snowing in NYC, I was craving ice cream. Yes. I was craving ice cream, in the middle of the day, while the temperature outside is about 20 degrees. Crazy? Perhaps, but sometimes, you have to eat some ice cream! Don’t judge me.
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ frozen avocado *
- 2½ TBS cacao powder
- ⅓ cup sliced beets (about 3 small)
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- 1 TBS coconut flour *
- 1 packet stevia
- pinch of salt
- ½ TBS chia seeds
- 2-3 TBS cold coffee *
- OPTIONAL toppings- 1 TBS cacao nibs/ chocolate chips, sliced berries, coconut flakes, nuts etc.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth
- add desired toppings
* the flour is optional, but adds to the texture. Feel free to omit completely
* Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor! It is also in the recipe to add a bit of liquid to get things moving in your blender.
*When you're brewing coffee in the morning, set aside a bit to use for the ice cream. If you don't happen to have any, substitute coconut/almond milk or water.
Don’t be afraid of using veggies in a dessert. Beets lend a really subtle sweetness and also enrich that gorgeous red velvet color. Avocado adds an amazing creamy flavor, and helps to create a beautiful texture. They also bump up the nutrition factor of the ice cream. So, is this the healthiest ice cream ever? Perhaps…I’m definitely a fan!
I also wanted to mention how incredibly excited I am to be featured on SpryLiving! It’s a really cool website that features awesome articles on health and nutrition…check it out!
Happy Sunday everyone! Now go and eat some ice cream!