I wanted to start this post by graciously thanking each and every one of you for supporting The Wholesome 21 and Cookies to Kale. This blog has been such a special place for me to share my passion for healthy food, and our E-Book is an extension of that inspiration. I could not do any of this without you all!
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe since we have been working on our book, and I’m so excited to share this one!
As someone who suffers from allergies, I am all too familiar with seeing a gorgeous recipe, looking at the ingredients and being immediately let down. Legumes are a great vegetarian substitution, but unfortunately, I can’t have them. In fact, most meat substitutes contain some sort of soy/legume product. I’ve learned to play it safe and just stay away from these sorts of things.
What’s a girl supposed to do when she gets a craving for tacos?! I normally love using fish, but lately I have been eating more vegetables. I’m not particularly trying to be vegan, but my body is really happy eating a diet that is mostly plant-based. So, what sort of veggie would be a great meat substitution?
The answer: MUSHROOMS
I wanted to create a taco that would have all of the traditional flavors, but utilize some non-traditional ingredients. I’ve been obsessed with roasted broccoli lately, so why not throw it in there! I can do whatever I want to, there are no rules!
May I present to you the Mushroom Meat Taco with Roasted Broccoli Guacamole
- MUSHROOM MEAT
- 1 cup portobello (about one med mushroom cap) chopped
- ½ shiitake chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 TBS roasted unsalted sunflowers seeds
- ½ tsp liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- ½ tsp Worcestershire
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBS lime juice
- BROCCOLI GUACAMOLE
- 1 cup broccoli flowerettes
- ¼ avocado
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 2 TBS tomato finely chopped
- ½ TBS lime juice
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
- Cilantro, hot sauce,1 TBS plain yogurt of choice (coconut milk, almond, greek), cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Lay broccoli flowerettes on sheet, spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with a pinch of salt
- Bake for about 20 min or until browned
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend portobello, shiitake, sunflower seeds and garlic (you should get a chopped meat consistency)
- Transfer to a bowl, and add remaining ingredients
- Spray a pan with nonstick cooking spray and cook for about 5 minutes (or until hot)
- Once broccoli is done, take out of the oven and allow to cool for about 10 min
- Chop broccoli, and transfer to a bowl
- Add remaining guacamole ingredients and stir completely (the avocado should completely cover broccoli)
- Spoon ingredients into desired "wrap/shell"
- Top with optional hot sauce, cilantro and salsa
I swear this was so delicious. I have actually had it for lunch two days in a row. My favorite part about these mushroom meat tacos is that although they are not a traditional taco, they are satisfying, yummy, and completely different. Why not try something new… you may find that you love it!