It’s Time for Part two of Veggie of the week!!!! This week, I am featuring the beautiful:
I’ve used butternut squash to make Chili, Curry Soup, Cream Sauce, and “Fries”… but all of these recipes seemed to obvious… too uncreative.
These were so delicious. I enjoyed them on one slice of gluten-free bread, with lettuce, tomato, avocado, a pickle (not optional in my world) and some homemade catsup!!! They are a little bit sweet, and just the right amount of savory.
The best part is they are really easy to make! It is so common to look at a recipe, get overwhelmed, doubt ourselves and then opt for our “usual”.
I dare you to try to go outside of your comfort zone and try these!!
SO without further ado:
Butternut Squash Burgers
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 TBS rosemary chopped
- 1/2 TBS thyme chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 TBS sun-dried tomato chopped
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 3 TBS green onion
- 1 egg white
- 2 TBS flour of choice (I used quinoa flakes)
- optional1/2 tsp liquid smoke (try substituting 1/4 tsp paprika!)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 TBS coconut oil (or olive)
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place butternut squash flat side down and roast for about 30 minutes (check by sticking a fork or knife in the squash, if it goes in easily it’s done!)
- Mean while,In a pan, heat the coconut oil, and cook onion and garlic until translucent. Add rosemary, thyme, dried basil, salt, pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir completely.
- Once squash is done, (leave heat on), discard the seeds and scoop out the flesh. Mash squash in a separate large bowl. The mash should fill about 2 cups. Add the contents of the pan, plus chia seeds, green onion, egg white, flour and optional liquid smoke. Mix completely.
- On as prayed baking sheet, portion out 6 patties. Bake in the oven for about 35-40minutes (flipping half way through). Once the patties have turned slightly browned, take out of the oven. Top with your favorite burger toppings, and Enjoy!
If you are staying away from bread, try them on lettuce wraps!!!Butternut squash burgers
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do 🙂
Also, here is a little sneak peek at what’s to come in our Fit For Broadway/Cookies to Kale E-Book!!!! Each meal is perfectly portioned and specifically chosen to create a balanced day of eating. We’ve done all of the work for you.. all you have to do is EAT!!!! (I know that personally I’m really good at that part).