When the warm weather months roll around, there is nothing I love more than to go to the farmers market and pick out the freshest produce. The green market in Union Square is seriously my happy place. There are hundreds of stands chock full of fresh fruits, and colorful veggies. One of my favorite finds (especially in the summer) are peaches.
A fresh peach on a warm day brings me right back to my childhood. Whether it was running around on the beach, enjoying the sprinkler with the neighborhood kids, or splashing around in a pool, one of my favorite snacks during the summer were fresh peaches.
…it’s winter….it’s freezing…there are no fresh peaches (insert sad, pouty, cranky, teary eyed face here)
When I was at whole foods the other day, I came across some organic frozen peaches. I mindlessly threw them in my basket and went along with my shopping venture.
Earlier this week, I decided to make use of those frozen morsels of goodness and create this:
Peaches and Cream Overnight Groats
- ⅓ cup dry buckwheat groats (oats work just as well!)
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup yogurt of choice (I love SoDelicious plain coconut milk yogurt)
- ½ TBS Chia Seeds
- ½ banana sliced
- peaches sliced* ( I would say about ½-3/4 of peach)
- 1 TBS Pumpkin Seeds (raw)
- optional: 1 tsp flax meal
- *I find that frozen fruit lasts longer and is a fantastic topping for your breakfast. Simply treat it like fresh fruit. Slice or chop as you normally would. If the fruit is a little bit hard to cut, simply run it under some warm water!
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and add dry buckwheat, chia, flax, stevia, cinnamon and pumpkin seeds. Once the grain is totally cooked (about 15 minutes), transfer to a mason jar. Slice peaches, and banana, and add to mason jar. Next, pour in ⅓ cup yogurt and stir completely. Put in the fridge over night. In the morning transfer to a bowl, warm in the microwave or eat cold! ENJOY!!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed these. They were super creamy, and the pumpkin seeds gave them a really nice crunch! Try them out!
Hope you’re having a wonderful Wednesday!